Knights of Columbus Meeting (October 16, 2014)
Meal prepared by Erps, Owen, and Risvold
Called to order at 7:47 pm.
Opening prayer by Joe Henkels.
Roll call done by Robinson.
Chaplain’s message – None
Reading of minutes from previous meeting:
– motion to approve by Spellerberg and 2nd by Watznauer at 7:50 pm.
Report of Admission Committee & Reading of Applications by J. Henkels:
– JD Sims is our newest member. Congratulations JD!
Grand Knight Report by Shannon Godwin:
- training this weekend for officers (Saturday @ St. Francis from 9-11 am)
- freethrow contest forms ordered
- postcards going to new possible KC members
- pamphlets of why to become a knight are available
- 24 hours can change your life pamphlets
District Deputy Report by Tony Slack:
- “Pray the Rosary” bumper stickers are available
- Camp Sunnyside getting new flagpole (approx. 30K made by KC)
- Gave plug for KC insurance for Steve Tatz
- KC Exemplification for 4th Degree Oct 25th in Altoona at 12:30 pm
Treasurer’s Report by Paul Martin:
- $8790 in checking, $13,352 in endowment,
- Tootsie Roll drive: $2741 total ($449 from Fareway, $417 from State Fair, $1,875 collected by Dave Nixon at Casey’s with 4 companies each giving $250 to go to special olympics)
- need to order 22 boxes next time
- motion to approve report by Slack and 2nd by Henkels
- motion to give % of profits raised by tootsie roll drive to charities (Camp Sunnyside, Special Olympics, On With Life) by Joe Henkels and 2nd by Risvold, motion carries
- KC giving $404 to Amanda the Panda from pancake breakfast
- BRAG: Bret Posegate announced prfit of over $25K
- CRHP: Travis said the ladies is this weekend and mens retreat is Oct. 25/26th, 3 ways to join the retreat…..website, flyer in basket and just show up!
- Ken Welch became a full fledge KC. Congratulations Ken!!!!
- spelling bee in February
- Keep Christ in Christmas poster contest
- Freethrow contest in January
- volunteer hours are needed by Kendall
- Anthony update: now at ease; 25-40 people in his house, calls once per week
- Auction Committee is biggest fundraiser @ Assumption
- meetings once per month
- Scrip had $118K in sales with approx $8K profit
- carries about $10K inventory requiring about 300 person hours
- new diocese policy to track serial #s, need IRS payments
- KC asked to maybe run program
- Bret P. spoke about a company in Cedar Rapids getting an app for phone to stay inventory free
- Knights decided to not be involved with this program
- John motioned to have $250 donated to Iowa Catholic Radio, 2nd by Tony, motion carries
- Trivia Night by Jaime Wahl:
- November 15th at 6 pm, trivia starts at 7 pm, $10 per person, teams of 8, drinks/food and fun, with beer/soda/wine
- Beer to Pope: Papal Porter (Steve Becker)
Good of the Order: None
Closing prayer by J. Henkels at 8:37 pm.