November 2017 Minutes – Council #12130
Knights of Columbus Meeting (November 16, 2017)
Important: Christmas Gathering with Catholic Women’s Club will be held Friday December 15th @ 7:00 PM.
7:08 PM meeting called to order
Roll call — absent were Grand Knight (Kendall Geneser), recorder (Dan Altier – special thanks to Meryn Wiese for filling in), warden (Chris Kitt), inside Guard (Ken Welch), and lecturer (Deacon Tom Schenk),
Reading of October minutes was waived, motion by Tom Letsch, 2nd Larry Spellerberg – approved.
Welcome to our newest Knight – Craig Geppert, 1st Degree completed this evening.
Grand Knight’s Report via Deputy Grand Knight: Busy month, including Dorthy’s House, Trunk or Treat, tree trimming, and a very successful Burrito Breakfast. Thanks to all involvedcd!
District Deputy Report: (Tom Brandt, Regional DD) Praised our council for all that we do. Second and third degree ceremony to be held on December 10th at Christ the King, no longer a five hour duration, closer to two hours. If interested, please inquire. Our new District Deputy is Dennis Westover, from All Saints.
Treasurer’s Report: $12,509 in checking and $15,000 in Certificate of Deposit. Outstanding bills are less than $200 but still have $7,000 to pay for college scholarships. Discussed a donation to Social Justice following recent breakfast in the amount of $300 (?), motion by Tom Letsch, 2nd by Steve Rodriguez – approved.
Financial Secretary: The current three year term for Steve Rodriguez is ending, this is an appointed position by the Council and approved by Supreme. Looking for a replacement, maintains membership roster and collection of dues. Now is the perfect time to assist and learn due to year end activities. If anyone is interested, please inquire.
- Dorothy’s House – lots of volunteers, thanks for all the help and assistance in trenching, backfilling and other duties in hooking up a gas line to their green house.
- Will be acquiring a four-pack of white buffet tables, due to the need; Ken Welch is coordinating.
- Fish Shack is nearly completed with final inspection scheduled. Thanks to Dave Watznauer for all of his efforts.
- Burrito Breakfast for Social Justice – Served 70 to 80 people, earned $638.75 plus Larry Spellerberg donated the supplies. Next breakfast scheduled for December 3rd with breakfast sandwiches.
- First Degree Dates for 2018 are March 15th, June 21st, September 20th and December 20th. Please recruit new members.
- Coats for Kids, ordered two boxes, 12 coats per box, ordered one box each for boys and girls. Motion of $400 set aside for gloves, hats and extra coats as needed. Steve Rodriguez 1st, 2nd by Dale Limoges – approved.
- Research for Mary’s Meals by Kenny O’Brien with possible money to be set aside, more details later.
- Assumption grounds cleanup discussed, timing moved back two weeks for balance of leaves to fall.
- Joppa Christmas Dinner will take place on December 21st. Looking for fifteen volunteers to assist serving the meal in downtown Des Moines, East Village, plus a few volunteers during the day to assist Ken Welch in meal preparation. If questions, please contact Joe Henkels.
- In lieu of the scheduled December 21st meeting, an abbreviated December meeting will take place on December 15th in conjunction with the Catholic Women’s Club for the Christmas Gathering in the gym. This frees up members to assist with the Joppa Christmas Dinner. December 21st. Meeting cancel motion by Joe Henkels, 2nd by Tony Slack – approved.
- Adult Faith Formation – Tom Letsch mentioned the annual fund raiser will take place on January 6th & 7th, will need help with food preparation and donations greatly appreciated.
- Assumption’s Harvest Barn Dance/Auction results – A great success with an excellent meal (Ken Welch). Results are not yet known.
- Keep Christ in Christmas poster contest – coordinating with Cathy Davidson
- VA Hospital Freedom Rock update, moving along nicely, tent with heat for Ray (Bubba) Sorensen – recent news coverage with Ken Wiley.
- 4th Degree – Recent meeting at Hotel Pattee with spouses. If anyone is interested in becoming a 4th Degree, contact Tony Slack, Ken Wiley or Joe Henkels. 4th Degree Exemplification will take place at the April Annual Convention, held in Davenport this year.
Good of the Order: Shannon Godwin thanks everyone for calls, visits and emails. Sue Wiley’s mother passed away, keep Sue’s father and family in your prayers. Patty Tiernan is recovering from hip replacement.
Closing Prayer by Tony Slack (adjourned approximately 8:00 PM)