November 2015 Minutes
Knights of Columbus Meeting (November 19, 2015)
Rosary @ 6:30, 7:00 meal, call to order @ 7:40 PM
Meal prayer and opening prayer by Dc. Dennis Wright
Roll call — absent were our Warden – D. Limoges, Chancellor – J. Wahl, Trustee #1 – D. Merry and Trustee #2 – T. Koester
Reading of minutes from previous meeting was waived, motion by J. Fernandez, 2nd by P. Hauser.
Chaplain’s Message: Fr. Dominic offered gratitude for our council and all that we do. The church needs our services; encourages the continuation of doing all that we do. Stay strong, remain committed and faithful. As our spiritual leader, we need to make sure the council grows and to let Fr. know how he can help.
Grand Knight’s Report: A huge thank you for assistance and attendance with Assumption’s Harvest Barn Dance & Auction, approximately $33,000 was raised. The live nativity scene structure was a hit, looking forward to the live nativity event. The cash donations received are also appreciated.
District Report: J McNaughton reminds us of the 2016 State Convention on April 15-16 at the Des Moines Marriott. Any nominations for State Awards are due March 1st. Still working on filling the vacant insurance agent position.
Treasurer’s Report: Checking balance is $2,201 — Endowment CD @ $15,703 – Most recent Knight’s Breakfast had a $330 profit. Outstanding invoices/payments of $500 for Bike Ride Around Granger, $100 for Teen Walk for the Cure and $250 to Iowa Catholic Radio for the Care-A-Thon.
Financial Secretary’s Report: 161 Members strong; the membership dues/statements will be mailed out by year end.
- Thank you received from Special Olympics Iowa for donation of $1,472, proceeds from tootsie roll sales.
- Assistance with organizing the parish garage is scheduled for Saturday, November 28th.
- The December meeting (12/17) will be joint with the Catholic Women’s Club
- Motion to order flowers for K. Bermel for currently stay in Rochester, MN by J. Fernandez, 2nd by S. Godwin, approved.
- 2016 Fish Frys – Every Friday during Lent, except Good Friday. Ash Wednesday is February 10th, so first fry will be February 12th. Need to define key players for purchasing, front of house and Thursday night preparation.
- Assumption will host the annual Knights Free Throw contest, looking for a lead. (Prior year’s lead was Jerrod Robinson)
- Assumption will host the annual Knights Spelling Bee, looking for a lead. (Prior year’s leads were Bret Posegate and Shannon Godwin)
- Joppa Outreach Christmas is December 21st, catering by the Knights and Ken Welch. Looking for assistance for food prep and meal serving downtown Des Moines – East Village. Steve Vanbrocklin will be driving the bus.
- InnerVisions – Kendall Geneser reported that 319 babies have been saved thus far.
- Knights t-shirts, S. Godwin has a few extra at $10, all shirts ordered are now received/delivered.
Good of the Order = Kathy Bermel, Darlene Limoges and Mother-In-Law of Travis Risvold (has improved greatly) – Please keep these individuals, plus others, in your prayers.
Closing Prayer by Fr. Dominic
Next Meeting = December 17th (Joint with Catholic Women’s Club)
Adjourned ≈ 8:45 PM