Knights of Columbus Meeting (March 17, 2016)
Rosary @ 6:30 PM, meal @ 7:00 with meal prayer by Ken Wiley, then call to order @ 7:30
Opening Prayer for meeting by our Dale Limoges
Roll call — absent were our Grand Knight – T. Risvold, Trustee 1 – D. Merry, Trustee 2 – T. Koester and our Lecturer – Dc. T. Schenk
Reading of minutes from previous meeting was waived, motion by J. Fernandez, 2nd S. Rodriguez
Grand Knight’s Report: By our Deputy Grand Knight – K. Geneser, Fish Fries have averaged 455 guests, highest count was 508, excellent work thus far.
Treasurer’s Report: Checking balance is $13,577 — Endowment CD @ $16,018.60 earning 1.3% with recent renewal with maturity in early December, 2016.
Financial Secretary: Recap of membership, cards available for those present, if not yet paid current year’s dues, notices are going out. Clergy are covered.
- Monument Committee – Recap of current plan, a mahogany stone, 6” thick, 42” high, setting on a 6” base of granite. Price of the monument, installed, no taxes is $2,995. Tear drop design, words on front are “In Loving Memory of the Unborn Child – Council 12130”. On the back, the words are “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. – Jeremiah 1:5” Time line is preferred installation by August for the Feast of Assumption (Feast Day). Motioned by M. Reed, 2nd by T. Slack – Approved. Discussion for use of the Endowment for funding, motion by S. Godwin to pay $1,500 out of the Endowment in December, when the CD matures, to replenish the General Fund, 2nd by K. Geneser, FAILED. So full payment will be paid from the General Fund. Location will be near the bell, by the front (west) entrance to the church based on past discussions for the location and concerns with lighting and vandalism.
- 40 Cans for Lent – J. Wahl – Collection of non-perishable food items, one can for every day of lent, has accumulated 1,000 lbs. with collection continuing through Holy Week, ending on Easter. Supreme will rebate $100 for every $500 Cash raised or 1,000 lbs. in food donated.
- Steam table for food serving needs replaced. A new table, on wheels, with 3 sections is ≈ $1,000. Can obtain three separate units, one section each to set on a table at $135 each. Two table top steamers were acquired by J. Bermel, already present. Motion by K. Geneser to buy these steamers, 2nd by L. Spellerberg, approved.
- Spring Clean Up – Scheduled for April 2nd @ 8:00 AM, need Knight’s help.
- Confirmation Retreat to Conception Abby, Cathy Davidson is looking for funding assistance. Motion of $500 by J. Fernandez, 2nd by D. Watznauer, approved.
- Rental of a storage unit – considering options for needed storage space. A 5’ X 10’ is normally $46/mo, 50% discount to the Knights is $23/mo. Purpose is to house items for vacation bible study and auction items, just to name a few. Motion by M. Reed to go with the $23/mo. rental, 2nd by J. Henkels, approved. [May need to reconsider due to closure of Assumption School and space may now be available.]
- An Iowa flag is needed for display in the Assumption Gym, discussion by K. Wiley. Potential size is 3’ X 5’, slightly smaller than U. S. flag currently on display. TABLED until next meeting.
- Vacation Bible Study, discussion by D. Limoges — This four day event in the mornings, serving a light lunch, will facilitate ≈ 80 kids. Motion for $250 funding by D. Limoges, 2nd by J. Fernandez, approved.
- Culture of Life – Chairman, T. Slack – This event will take place at the end of April or the first part of May. Similar to summer tootsie roll event, Knights will be stationed at Casey’s in Granger and Fareway in Grimes, plus weekend masses offering up Tootsie Pops. Proceeds intended to fund Ultra Sound machines at pregnancy centers throughout IA.
- Joppa Outreach – J. Henkels is looking for volunteers for camp cleanup taking place on April 9th, watch for emails plus any monetary gifts would be greatly appreciated and actually doubled based on existing funding sources through Monday, March 21st.
- Our very own Mark Reed has resigned his position with The Catholic Foundation of Southwest Iowa and is moving to Florida working for Give Kids the World Village. We all wish him well.
- Fish Fries – Discussion by S. Godwin – Financial results show a record year, we are averaging 455 guests a week, profit of $8,100 through week 5. Guests week 1 through 5 are as follows: 360 / 480 / 504 / 443 / 489.
- Hot Rods & Hogs – Will take place August 6th & 7th. Looking for ideas, committee being formed consisting of K. Geneser, T. Slack and K. Wiley. Please share any groups in need or potential good causes.
- State Convention is April 15-17, downtown Des Moines – Marriott Hotel. Our delegates are Dale Limoges, Kendall Geneser and Joe Fernandez.
Good of the Order = Nothing mentioned.
Closing Prayer by K. Geneser (adjourned @ 8:40 PM)
Next Meeting = April 21st