January 2016 Minutes
Knights of Columbus Meeting (January 21, 2016)
Rosary @ 6:30, meal @ 7:00 with meal prayer by Dc. Dennis Wright, then call to order @ 7:34 PM
Opening Prayer for meeting by Dc. Dennis Wright
Roll call — absent were our Advocate – J. Fernandez, Lecturer – Dc. Tom Schenk and Chancellor – J. Wahl
Reading of minutes from previous meeting was waived, motion by M. Reed, 2nd by T. Slack
Grand Knight’s Report: Great pancake breakfast on January 10th with $392 profit. Free Throw Contest on January 15th had $32 in food donations, a decent turnout for this annual event, winners move on to District. 2016 State Convention is in Des Moines on April 15-17, Delegates are needed. Raffle tickets available @ $1.00 each or 6 for $5. A 4th Degree Ceremony takes place on Friday evening at the Convention. A nice Christmas letter was received from Anthony Welch; he can be reached as follows:
Br. Pier Giorgio, CFR
Friars at Most Blessed Sacrament Friary
375 13th Ave
Newark, NJ 07103
District Deputy: Recap upcoming State Convention, looking for donations (ideas) for a “Ladies Basket” at the silent auction. The Knights will have a full page advertisement in the convention book. Policy changes – the Knights can no longer sponsor either the boy scouts or cub scouts. Appreciation shared for the live nativity scene that our Council put on.
Treasurer’s Report: Checking balance is $2,461 — Endowment CD @ $15,703 A few deposits are in the works from recent pancake breakfast plus an Audit is coming up, includes involvement of Financial Secretary, Treasurer, Grand Knight and Trustees.
Financial Secretary’s Report: Received membership dues for approximately 75 Knights. Current bills include $626 to State, $494 to K of C, $15 to St Lukes for Exemplification and $137 for Postage.
- Fish Frys – those in charge include Shannon Godwin for ordering, Sam Smith for food line, Dave Watznauer for the fish shack and Dave Nixon for Thursday night prep. Past years have averaged $1,500 profit per fish fry which followed with discussion for current year potential recipients.
- Appreciation for Fr. Dominic’s Installation dinner and breakfast, sponsored by Adult Faith. Free Will yielded $1,500, expense of $400 so $1,100 profit.
- Next pancake breakfast is 1/31 for kickoff of Catholic Schools Week.
- Coats for Kids – received two boxes, distribution to take place in upcoming days/weeks.
- K. Geneser motioned for $500 to be given to the American Veterans (AMVETS), 2nd by K. Welch, approved. This reflects a half match of $1K given by the 4th Degree Assembly.
- J. Henkels recommended InnerVisions Healthcare as one recipient for this year’s fish fry profits with the potential of featuring InnerVisions for a specific event to hopefully increase donations. Theme was amended to be Right to Life.
- Looking for Knights support and assistance with hardwiring necessary cables, etc. for use of broadcasting Christmas Mass and Easter Mass in the gym. $800 was recently spent for the temporary setup for Christmas Mass; this topic has been brought up before to pursue a more permanent solution whereby quotes had been obtained. With the hard goods being the most expensive part of a solution, D. Limoges made a motion of $500 (commitment), 2nd by M. Reed, approved. A group/committee for this endeavor includes D. Merry, J. Henkels, K. Welch, D. Watznauer and C. Kitt.
- State Council advertisement @ $40 per Council, motion by M. Reed, 2nd by S. Rodriguez, approved.
- Be sure to include any volunteer/fraternal hours on sheets kept by our Deputy Grand Knight, K. Geneser.
- Culture of Life Drive (Birth to Grave) discussed by T. Slack; tootsie pops will be given out, similar to tootsie rolls. Profit goes to the state to provide ultra sound machines with a goal to reduce abortion by 50%. Weekend event will take place end of April or 1st part of May. Planned placement of our Council is Casey’s in Granger, Fareway in Grimes and at the end of Masses at Assumption.
- Men’s CHRP weekend of February 6th & 7th [ Women’s CHRP = February 27th & 28th ]
- Insurance Agent for our council is still vacant, for now to address any needs, reach out to our General Agent, Shawn Still
Good of the Order = Some individuals within our parish have recently lost jobs, more to come with Pioneer, keep them within your thoughts and prayers.
Closing Prayer by Grand Knight, Travis Risvold (adjourned @ 8:39 PM )
Next Meeting = February 18th with planned 1st Degree