Knights of Columbus Meeting (January 15, 2015)
Called to order at 7:34 pm
Opening prayer by Dennis Wright
Roll call — absent were and Outside Guard, Lecturer and Advocate
Chaplain’s message: Discussed importance of continual visits to Polk County prisons. Pamphlets made available are well received. Volunteer if you can, pray for those in prison and for the wellbeing of the prisoners and those taking the time to visit.
Reading of minutes from previous meeting was waived, motion by Robinson, 2nd by Risvold.
Grand Knight’s Report: Coats for Kids – delivered 24 coats in December to school nurses. Catholic School’s Week starts with pancake breakfast and Open House on 1/25/15. Marketing Committee’s representation present, along with the Knights, along with Stewardship and others; will have tables with information available and individuals to represent.
District Deputy’s Report: Recent District meeting was held at Assumption, with focus on membership. Iowa is at a negative growth. State Deputy resigned effective January 1st, former State Deputy will serve through June 30th. Fraternal survey due 1/31, with semi-annual audit to take place 2/15.
Treasurer’s Report: $6,761 in checking, $14,594 in endowment (reinvested Certificate of Deposit). Recent pancake breakfast netted $465. Recent payment to Granger family following loss of life and loss of home due to fire, check was for $2,059 of which Knights donated $500, $890 from Assumption School collections and the remainder from private donations.
Financial Secretary’s Report: 154 due paying members, Fraternal Activity Form due 1/31, new membership cards to be mailed, if degree number listed on card is not valid, be sure to notify Larry so cards can be corrected and replaced.
- Biscuits, sausage and gravy breakfasts scheduled for 2/08
- Keep Christ in Christmas – Poster Contest – medals obtained, cost $48, far less than $250 previously approved.
- Joppa Outreach Christmas – 275 people in attendance, Ken Welch coordinated dinner
- Basketball Free Throw contest, Jerrod Robinson the lead, Friday 1/23, 6:00 registration, 7:00 start, for ages 9 through 14.
- Adult Faith Dinner (1/17) and breakfast (1/18), lead is Tom Letsch; encourage bible study attendance
- Winter Dinner Dance on 2/7 with money to be used to fund mission trips for youth and parishioners
- Confirmation Class – Cathy Davidson is looking for funding to assist the 24 kids for their weekend retreat – Motion for up to $1,500 in the event they cannot raise the remaining funds – motion by Tom Letsch, 2nd by Dan Merry
- Monthly Knights Mass, need more help, need more guys, casual dress, show up and be willing to assist or respond to requests to fill positions. Next Knights Mass is 2/8 @ 8:00
- Rosary brochures for prison distribution, supply is running low, ordering 1,000 at a cost of $297, funding request Motion by Jerrod Robinson, 2nd by Merlyn Wiese
- Spelling Bee, hosted by Knights on 2/8
- Right for Life March at State Capitol on Sunday 1/17
- Next Meeting = February 19th with a First Degree
- Second and Third Degree to be hosted at Assumption in March
Guest Speaker: Steve Tatz, our Field Agent for Knights of Columbus insurance – 2014 was a good year, 14th consecutive year of a volume record. Disability Income – think about it! Steve will provide place mats once again for our Lenten Fish dinners.
Good of the Order: two individuals were mentioned to keep in our prayers
Adjourned at 8:35pm