February 2016 Minutes – Council #12130
Knights of Columbus Meeting (February 18, 2016)
Rosary @ 6:30 PM, First Degree @ 7:00, meal @ 7:40 with meal prayer by Travis Risvold, then call to order @ 8:09
Opening Prayer for meeting by Grand Knight – Travis Risvold
Roll call — absent were our Lecturer – Dc. T. Schenk, Trustee 1 – D. Merry and Trustee 2 – T. Koester
Reading of minutes from previous meeting was waived, motion by J. Fernandez, 2nd K. Geneser
Grand Knight’s Report: Welcome to our newest Knight, Dillon Kladivo. The first fish fry of 360 guests yielded $2,3740.60 [Avg. $6.60/person]. A good officer’s planning meeting was held on 1/31/16.
District Deputy: (J. McNaughton) A Columbian Reward was presented to Shannon Godwin for four new members during the 1st quarter of a fiscal year, congratulations! Upcoming State Convention, April 15-17, downtown Des Moines – Marriott Hotel, looking for donations for the silent auction. Motion by J. Fernandez for $25 donation and four “fish dinner” passes for the 2017 season, 2nd by M. Musich, approved.
Treasurer’s Report: Checking balance is $1,116 — Endowment CD @ $15,703, which matures on March 7th. Checking balance excludes $2,375 deposit from fish fry. Unpaid bills include Supreme @ $493.75 and Knights-Squires @ $4.00
- Projector Committee – for Christmas and Easter Mass in the gym, further discussion during March and April. Fr. Dominic is not in favor of projecting Mass in the gym, more in favor of a 2nd priest saying Mass in the gym.
- 40 Cans for Lent – J. Wahl – Plan is for one non-perishable food item every day of lent, with collection in the gathering space. Donations will benefit Food Pantry in Granger plus help out St. Mary’s Center. Would like to include the school/RE/entire Parish. Supreme will rebate $100 for every $500 Cash raised or 1,000 lbs in food donated.
- Free Throw Contest Update – Council was held at Assumption on January 15th, District and Regional taking place respectively on February 20th and 28th.
- Recommendation by J. Henkels of disbanding the Squires Council and focus more on Religious Education and parish items, basically no additional Squires. – Motion to disband Squire Council was tabled as no 2nd was received.
- State Delegates – nominated J. Fernandez and K. Geneser to attend on behalf of our council.
- Money needed for Supplies, stamps, etc. for our Financial Secretary, S. Rodrigues. $100 motion by J. Fernandez, 2nd by B. Mullenbach, approved.
- Food Service Expansion – possible Steak Fry on April 2nd, K. Welch willing to spearhead. Also contemplating another breakfast, a “hardy breakfast” with different food items, possible breakfast once a month. Discussion is a “yes” to a steak fry, but need to move it back to a May timeframe. Will bring up again for further discussion.
- Membership Drive in March with Knights representation at Mass
- Volunteer Hours – New forms provided by K. Geneser
- Joppa Outreach – J. Henkels looking for volunteers for camp cleanup taking place on April 9th.
- The Urban Bicycle Food Ministry – (J. Henkels) Des Moines is a branch of the Urban Bicycle Food Ministry which is a missional group that meets during the week to go out into the community (on bicycles) for outreach by supplying food and basic needs to people who are hungry. Delivers bicycles to homeless camps.
- Our endowment ($15 K), 10% of everything our Council raises goes into the endowment, looking for suggestions (fund raisers, how to spend, how to invest).
- Our Council now has a new Insurance Agent, Charles Stastny; he was the rep from Ames/State Center/Marshalltown area.
- Memorial to the Unborn – committee met recently, expressed Officer’s concerns, will meet again and total cost is a concern; will report by next meeting.
Good of the Order = Pat Wright has suffered a broken leg, broken in three places and must stay in bed for six weeks; prayers, support and meals would be greatly appreciated.
Closing Prayer by J. Henkels (adjourned @ 8:52 PM )
Next Meeting = March 17th