Business Meeting Called to order at 7:34 pm
Roll call — absent was our Outside Guard, everyone else present.
Reading of minutes from previous meeting was waived, motion by Watznauer, 2nd by W. Derry.
Grand Knight’s Report: State Convention was April 11th and 12th. Star Council – need 6 additional new members to qualify, will then receive $4.50 back from Supreme for every member. Sponsorship of a new Knight until May 31st, along with a signed Form 100, will get your next year dues paid.
Chaplin’s Report: First Communion this weekend, include our youth in your prayers; just completed Confirmation. Lots of Parish activity post-Easter.
District Deputy’s Report: State Convention, effective July 1st, new State Deputy is Jon Aldrich. Second and Third Degree taking place April 19th in Ames and the following Sunday in Waukee. K of C State Golf Tournament will take place on June 20th in Storm Lake (4-Man Best Shot tournament @ $75 per person). Family Fun Day at the Race Track (Prairie Meadows) on July 19th ($20/Adult — $12/Child — Program includes camel, ostrich and zebra races).
Treasurer’s Report: $15,075in checking and $14,594 in endowment/CD. Fish Fries made $9,400; $750 greater than prior year. Upcoming payable of $3,000 for K of C Scholarships.
Financial Secretary’s Report: Tax Form 990 completed. Dues – a few have yet to pay. For any 2nd and 3rd degree, invoices have been sent. If a 4th Degree Knight, you will receive a separate 4th Degree card from the 4th Degree Assembly. Our Council only provides up to 3rd Degree card, once membership fees are paid, reflective of our Council. Program Director, Jason Follett provided a Community Service Reward to our Council for Christmas for the Homeless, (Joppa Holiday Program).
- Past month approved $250 sponsorship to St. Vincent De Paul Society for the upcoming Willow Creek golf outing.
- Memorial for the unborn – Old Business but tabled momentarily for new business discussion.
- Iowa Catholic Radio donation for $250; motion by Fernandez, 2nd by Slack, approved.
- May Meeting – will have nomination of officers with voting taking place at the June meeting.
- New initiative by the State of Iowa on ultrasound machines to decrease the amount of abortions. Joe Henkels is on the committee. Local Councils intend on raising ½ the funds, with Supreme providing a match. Goal is for every Knight to save a baby. A 92% success rate occurs if the mother sees the heart rate via an ultrasound machine, 96% if the father sees the heart rate.
- $750 Donation to the Assumption Catholic Women’s Club as they greatly assist our Knight’s activities and don’t have the fund raising avenues, plus they provide sacramental items and vestments for the parish; motion by Fernandez, 2nd by Dale Limoges, approved.
- Fish Fries – Suggested that in the future, we mention each week where the free will offerings are designated, as was done in previous years, may increase the donations.
- Praise Fest Fund Raiser breakfast this Sunday, Travis Risvold is the head of the committee, free will offering.
- Bingo @ Granger Nursing and Rehabilitation Center this Sunday, takes place every month, would like assistance.
- Mother’s Day carnations distribution to mothers, request for funds by Schenk. Motion of $200 by Reed, 2nd by Risvold, approved.
- Easter video Rental, $750 motion by Watznauer, 2nd by Reed, approved. Further discussion to explore a more permanent solution, review past quotes and obtain current quotes and specifications on cable and equipment
- Auction Committee by Jamie Wahl, Golf Tournament July 24th at The Legacy Golf Club, Norwalk — $100 per person, 18 holes, cart, dinner, prizes and awards. Motion by Wahl to sponsor a hole @ $200, 2nd by Risvold, approved.
- Marketing Committee, by Travis Risvold regarding the A-Frame Signs recently acquired. Recent purchase of six signs, request for monetary support of $1,000 to reflect the total cost of the A-Frames ($700) and printed signs ($300) that are in place by Velcro, thus removable. The $1,000 request to offset the cost of the signs was 2nd by Henkels, approved.
- Memorial for the unborn – Lots of discussion, U.S. granite versus China, costs and quality. Time sensitive due to 190 day lead time to order being placed and monument received. Due to significant outlay of funds, whether the more expensive Tear Drop design ($7,300) black granite or tall rectangle ($5,800), a committee has been formed. Chair will be Bob Mullenbach, joined by Travis Risvold, Joe Fernandez, Tony Slack and Mark Reed.
- Next Meeting = May 21st
Good of the Order = none, Closing Prayer by Dc. Tom Schenk
Adjourned at 9:05 pm